Have Passport, Will Travel: Farewel my friend....

Monday, June 05, 2006

Farewel my friend....

The reason there haven't been any updates for a few days will be clear when you read this update.

Friday evening Mickey was doing well, enjoying his grilled chicken as per usual. Later on that evening he started to develop breathing difficulties. Jackie and I were getting quite worried, he was panting and puffing. We kept taking him outside for a breather of cool air but it did not settle down. After a lot of if's, but's and maybe's we took the hard decision to get the vet involved. Richard Davy and his nurse got to our house just after twelve. After a checking him over the vet told us that the time indeed had come. Jackie and myself took the time to say goodbye to Michael. It was like he knew what was happening. Jack and I made him comfortable on his settee and let the vet get on with it. Mickey was very calm through it all, after all this was the vet that had sown him together on a fair few occasion after chasing accidents. Jackie and I held him while the vet administered the drugs. Mickey didn't even flinch when they put the syringe in. He proudly sat up and just gently slipped away without and pain or fear.
The vet quietly left and Jackie and I said goodbye and covered him under his favourite blanket.
Needless to say Jackie and I went to pieces after it all. We sat up for ours talking and grieving.
We went to bed at half two but I couldn't sleep. I spend the rest of the night downstairs sitting there just talking to my old friend, I didn't want him to lay there alone...
We had decided years ago that when the time came we would bury him in his favourite spot. He loved standing next to the Pampas grass in my front garden, you can see a picture of him way down on this Blog standing next to the Pampas grass.
So when Jackie woke up at six thirty we went outside and started preparing his place. It took us two hours to dig this hole, he was a big dog and he has to go at least three foot deep because of hygiene reasons. We then carried my old mate outside and wrapped him in his favourite blanket and laid him to rest. Needless to say both Jackie and myself were wrecks by the end of.
Jackie got some nice garden flowers together and put a little bunch on his grave.
We both said goodbye to our gentle giant.

Mickey
June 1996 Ireland
June 2006 Cornard
Rest in peace, friend.
You will be missed.

Elmer & Jackie.

Thanks to everyone who helped us and supported this throughout this hard period, you know who you are...

2 Comments:

At 22 July, 2006 22:46, Blogger doyle said...

When Mickey needed your love most, you gave it to him. You accepted the pain of him going so that HE'D never hurt again.

Where Mickey is now there is no pain or fear. He's off romping happily with a new friend he just met: a big yellow Lab.

 
At 24 July, 2006 10:07, Blogger Alex said...

Thanks for that Doyle. You must be a dog person. Its been over 7 weeks now and I still miss Mick like it was yesterday. I presume the big yellow lab is yours? Take care, Alex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|