Have Passport, Will Travel: Smoking....

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Smoking....

This is it.
Me and the missus have decided to give up smoking. We have been thinking about it for a long time but never got serious about it. It doesn't help that I travel everywhere and so always have tons of dutyfree's. On friday we get our nicotine patches and chewing gum. It is going to be hard because we both are two hardcore smokers. If we could, we would smoke in our sleep. We made the decision for several reasons. 1 We are gonna die a horrible death from it.
2 Its quite expensive. 3 Its socially quite unacceptable now. 4 Mickey my dog died from lung cancer. ( I told him to give up the ciggies but did he listen? Hahahaha....)
Yesterday we went to see the health nurse at the doctors and she explained what the options were. The missus is going for the 24 hour patches that you wear all the time. I'm going for the 16 hour patches. I have already started as I had some of these patches anyway to cope with long haul flights for my job. I've had no ciggies for a few days now and its not too bad sofar. I have had a minor headache for two days but I guess that is the nicotine washing out of my system. I guess it helps that I am serious about it. We have stopped before. Years ago we stopped for 6 months but we slowly got back on the wicked weed. Maybe getting on in age is helping me to realise that I'm not immortal and I will die but I don't wonna die from a preventable disease. My boss is supporting me by offering me a bonus after a year's quitting.
It's only a 100 GBP but it's better than a kick in the teeth... ( And someone has to pay for his new Mercedes I suppose... hahahaha....)
I'll keep the Blog as my Wailing Wall when it gets hard....

Cheerio,

Alex.

2 Comments:

At 08 June, 2006 12:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one son. Now can you also sort the hair out I'm very jealous of you being 45+ and having loads of hair.

 
At 21 July, 2006 12:23, Blogger Alex said...

Hiya Rob, I hadn't spotted your comments. I had given up reading the comments page as nobody ever left comments. Whaddaya mean? You have no hair anymore? What is you son/daughter gonna think when he/she pops out in october? And for your info (you b'stard) I'm not as old as you are, only 29 now.
Cheerio,
Methusaleh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|