Have Passport, Will Travel: Puerto Rico...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Puerto Rico...

Wheyhey, made it out to Puerto Rico.
I am in San Juan now. I flew yesterday from London Gatwick to Newark through to San Juan. The leg from Gatwick was OK, not too busy on the plane and the Continental Airlines food was half edible. (I think it was chicken, beef or vegetarian, couldn't really tell...) Still don't know where they get the old age pensioners, oh sorry, stewardesses from. I have never seen so many old women trying to serve food. Mind you, it is not easy to get up the aisles with a zimmerframe... hahahahaha. The leg from Newark to San Juan was packed with noisy little basXXXXXs, children, I mean. Unfortunately I had a window seat next to the biggest fattest Puerto Rican bloke I have ever seen. He showed up last getting on the plane and I thought they had switched the lights of but it was only him blocking out the sun hahahaha... I mean, he couldn't keep himself in his seat even if he tried. He was bulging right over half of my seat, and I am not small either. So I basically walked off the plane with an imprint of the window on my face from being wedged in there for 4 hours. My contact from LT Automation was right there to pick me up so I was in the San Juan Marriott within minutes. This morning he was back to pick me up to take me to site. Unfortunately the site where I am working, The Puerto Rican Power Authority is right on the other side of the island. That took an hour to get to but the site is rather stunning. From the boiler towers, which are a good 12 stories high, you look out over the Caribean Sea. The nearest town is Salinas. The work itself is going ok, the people on site are nice and helpfull. We had lunch in some shack on the beach which was good, plantanes and some kind of meat, dunno what kind... Tonight it took 2 hours to get back because as per usual it had started to piss down. For the people who don't know this, wherever I go it rains. Last year I went to the Eastern Province in Saudi Arabia in the desert and we had the most torrential rain I have ever seen. I asked a local guy if it rained there often and he said that it hadn't rained for 15 years hahahaha...
So who ever needs rain, just call me, I come around and the heavens open up hahahaha...
San Juan looks OK from the little I have seen from it. If I am lucky I should get a weekend out of this job so should have some time on saturday and sunday to do some touristy crap.
The countryside between the hotel here and the site down south is all mountains. It all looks rather nice but the phone reception is rubbish. Tomorrow gotta start early as the site people start at 7:30.
OK, more tomorrow as I have emails to write and beer to drink.
Hasta luego from San Juan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|