Have Passport, Will Travel: In the United Arab Emirates...

Sunday, July 26, 2009

In the United Arab Emirates...

Afternoon,

This time I am in Dubai. After flying from Muscat to Abu Dhabi we rented a car and tootled of to Dubai, only a short 160 km ride. One problem was that my dear collegue and mentor Mr Colin was driving... Man after three days in the car with him I kissed the ground like the pope does after a plane ride. The man scared me half to death on several occasions. The best one was where he decided to drive the wrong way up the motorway. I don't think I will forget the sheer terror to be faced with 4 lanes of traffic hurtling at me at 100km an hour....


This is the view up the Creek in Dubai. The Creek is full of peculiar fish called Plastic Bag Fish...


This is the famous Burgh Al Arab hotel... Its in the distance as I couldn't be arsed to drive closer, they won't let me play tennis on there like Federer anyway...


This is the view of the business area with the tallest building in the world in the background...


These were some of the Dhows moored in the Creek...


The Spice Souk...


More rotten old wooden boats... Eh I mean, beautiful wooden Dhows...


Me sweating my arse off in 42 degree heat on the Creek...

The usual quiet traffic on a sunday in Dubai.

What we really noticed was how quiet it was in Dubai. Since the Credit Crash has started a lot of the huge building projects have a stopped. A lot of foreigners have left the place and there are loads of appartments for sale... Never mind, I can't say I care a lot for a place that is 45 degree hot and boasts the largest indoor ski slope in the world....

After this it is off to Ras Al Khaimah, the poorest of the Emirates...

Taraaa,

Alex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|