Have Passport, Will Travel: Santee State Park, South Carolina...

Monday, July 23, 2007

Santee State Park, South Carolina...

Afternoon,

Today it's monday the 23rd of July. I am in South Carolina doing some work for Holcim Holly Hill. The work is going great and with a bit of luck I should be on a plane back home to the UK tomorrow evening. I'm flying from Charleston to Atlanta, Georgia and from there to Gatwick, UK. Should be home by 3, maybe 4 o'clock on wednesdayafternoon. That is, after I have done another full days work and then 18 hours travel, nice 'ey?

I phoned the missus today and she told me that the weather has been absolutely attrocious in England with loads of towns flooded and the army rescueing people... Hmmm, finally its crap weather when I'm not there. Normally when I phone the missus and tell her its 28 degrees where I am she tells me its 32 at home....

Today after work I took a few wrong turns driving home and found myself on the road to the Santee State Park. This is a park that is part of Lake Marion and the surrounding swamps. As I have bugger all else to do here as there are no bars in walking distance I decided to go and have a look.

The road there was a winding road that was deserted and after about 10 miles found myself on the shore of lake Marion.

This lake looks weird. There is a fir tree forest in the middle of it. Just trees, poking out the water. It did look nice. The first piccie here is the shoreline where I parked, illegally I believe as I had to drive all the way up a no entry signposted road to get there... weird...


This was the boating and fishing jetty with it's usual live bait shop. As you can see it is heaving with people.... NOT...
I dunno if you an make it out on this picture (again taken with my mobile as the insurance is being difficult about paying for my smashed camera, don't get me started on that...) but what you see is not the other shoreline. That are those weird fir trees standing in the water...


That was all the time I had there as some dude came walking up to me and started saying something about parking charges or entry fees etc so I let him know I only spoke Armenian and drove off.

I'm now back in the shitty Holiday Inn trying to decide what to have for dinner. The restaurant here is not much cop, the staff are friendly but they don't know much about running a restaurant. I had to ask for cutlery, well, knife and fork, as the lady didn't know what cutlery was. Also the main came out before the starter so maybe I'll give that a miss tonight. There are the usual suspects right outside the door, Maccie D, Wendy's, Maurice's BBQ (?), Denny's, Hardees etc so choice enough if you like a heart attack in a bun.... The life on the road 'ey? And you thought it was all glamour 'ey?

OK, gotta go and check my emails... Maybe I've won the lottery and I can stop all this globe trotting... (Chance would be a fine thing...)

Just heard from the office that next week I'm off, back to the Middle East to Oman. Sometimes in the morning when I wake up I have to look in my diary just to see where the hell I am....

Cheerio,

Alex The Globetrotter.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 24 July, 2007 13:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Alex,
Those fir trees are cypress trees. The lake you were looking at is the largest lake in SC at roughly 110,000 acres. Most state parks charge admission fees to help maintain the maintenance of the parks. Many Americans frequent state parks to get away from the daily grind of their jobs to relax in a natural setting. Probably the same reason you made your way down here, looking for a hideaway. Anyhow, you should take advantage of any opportunity to stop for a moment and learn a little bit our great state and country when ever you get a chance, especially when it comes to speaking english with a native and not pretending you only speak Armenian. Hope you come back to visit us, but please bring your $2.00 next time.

 
At 17 August, 2007 10:16, Blogger Alex said...

Hi State Park User,

I was only kidding, as I am on expenses I would always pay my dues. It really was a beautuful space. The main reason why I always have to race through these things is that I am there for work reasons and not for sight seeing. If I can manage to get some tourist stuff in I will but normally its a quick dash and then off again. I'm off to Lebanon coming monday... Thanks for the comments... Alex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|