Have Passport, Will Travel: Istanbul, Blue Mosque, Turkey...

Friday, November 17, 2006

Istanbul, Blue Mosque, Turkey...

Afternoon,

One more posting from Turkey. This is one of the old city walls where they have build houses right on top of. Quite stunning, the way the old blends with the fairly new...

This is the famous Blue Mosque or Sultanamet. Again the weather was nice and the sun helped to do some decent shots. I have been to the Blue Mosque before but that was years ago and in those days the Mosque was in a bad state of repair. Nowadays everything is spic and span and looks great.
This is the front of the Mosque with the typical turret thingies on top with the half crescent on top.
This is the view from inside the marble courtyard. There are verses of the Q'uran written above the doors but as my arabic reading is not good I have no idea what it says.

The Mosque is still in use for prayers so the visitors are kept separate from the religious people as not to disturb them. I actually didn't go in, I couldn't be arsed. I needed a kebab so made my way outside and found a kebab place where they did some good burnt rat, lovely!

I'm off to Portugal next week I believe so we might get some info on the famous rabbit grills of Lisbon if we are lucky.

Cheerio!

Alex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|